Ah Cadenhead’s. A truly remarkable shop. A truly remarkable bottler. WM Cadenhead is the oldest independent bottler in Scotland. Hailing back to 1842. That’s a long time ago. Cadenhead’s is currently owned by J & A Mitchell & Co (the same family who own Springbank), which means they still have that traditional feel. While bottlings from Cadenhead’s can be found at many specialist whisky shops, the best place to find them is at a Cadenhead’s Whisky Shop. Sort of like Apple products maybe?
There are Cadenhead shops spread about Europe, but in this post I will be talking about the best one. Edinburgh’s Cadenhead’s Shop. Ok well admittedly I haven’t been to the others but I can’t imagine them being any better than this. This little shop carries some of the most diverse and entertaining selections of whisky in the world. They also have live casks in the shop from which you can purchase some excellent whisky for excellent value. They also carry non-whisky spirits such as rum, gin, and brandy. Actually they were more known for rum back in the day and some of the old guard are still shocked to find that they carry anything else.
If you know me, then you’ll know I am all about good cheap food! All about that. And now I shall brag a bit about my birthplace of Los Angeles. It is probably one of the best places in the world to find all types of cuisine from all around the world at a cheap price and with authentic flavour. Or just awesome flavour.
Anyway, the point of this brag session is to demonstrate my good cheap food instincts. With these instincts I have deducted that, in general, food in Edinburgh is expensive and also does not rank too well among other international cities (this view point is my own but has been corroborated by some knowledgeable peoples). However, there are of course shining exceptions to this rule. Oink is one of them.
The folks at Royal Mile Whiskies have posted the ticket sale date for the 2015 Whisky Fringe.
From their website:
7th, 8th & 9th August 2015.
TICKETS WILL GO ON SALE WEDNESDAY 27th MAY 2015, AT MIDDAY
Whisky Fringe Tickets will ONLY be on sale through:
Brown Paper Tickets www.brownpapertickets.com
Below are key details plus terms and conditions
- Whisky Fringe 2015 is on Friday 7th, Saturday 8th and Sunday 9th August, 2pm – 6 pm each day (last sample pour at 5.45pm)
- Tickets are NOT available to reserve or buy in advance of the May 27th release date.
- Tickets are not available to purchase through royalmilewhiskies.com, telephone sales or from any of our shops.
- 4 tickets maximum per customer.
- Tickets are non refundable and will not be replaced if lost or stolen.
- Tickets will be priced at £30.00 plus booking fee (includes a £10 money off voucher)
- Please note, we strongly recommend you purchase tickets via a desktop or laptop computer rather than with mobile devices.
- At the event, look after your free snifter glass. It’s yours to keep and we will give you a box at the end to carry it, but if you misplace or break it you will be charged if you want a replacement. You have been warned!
- Exhibitors are well within their rights not to serve anyone who is rude, threatening or intoxicated. Event management reserve the right to refuse entry or eject anyone who is out of order. Please drink responsibly – don’t ruin it for everybody else or, more importantly, yourself.
- This event is only available to those of legal drinking age in Scotland (18 years old). We will be checking ID at the event in accordance with the Challenge 25 initiative. If you look young please bring ID.
The popularity of our event means that once again we will undoubtedly be oversubscribed for tickets and unfortunately some people will miss out. We would love to accommodate everybody, but the reality is that this is simply not possible. Part of the success of our event is due to the wonderful venue, there really is nothing comparable to the Mansfield Traquair.
We look forward to seeing you in August. For the most up to date information follow us on Twitter or Facebook